I have a history of infographilia


Every time I visit my parents, I walk into my room and go through something like re-entry shock. As astronauts must again acclimate to the earth's atmosphere, I must readjust to my childhood room.

I forget that it still looks like a fairy princess dream. Pink blinds, pink nameplate, purple comforter and a glass window jewelry box that contains snowflake earrings and cheap birthstone rings that turned my skin green. My ceiling is encrusted with glow-in-the-dark stars. I snoop around to rediscover my own treasure.

I stumble across my diaries and lay back to enjoy the angst. I received my first one when I was 5 years old. It too was pink and gagging with hello kitty. After skimming VERY shallowly, here's a breakdown of its' contents:

75% - interactions with people and subsequent confusion at what was being said
20% - boys (imaginary scenarios and real, but the imaginary ones are more interesting)
5% - grab bag

Nothing amazing, what was really fascinating was that everything was explained using primitive, first-grader infographics. For example, "I like Greg. Does he like me?" would be accompanied with a drawing of a flower, each petal labeled 'l' or 'ln'. This translates to 'loves me' or 'loves me not'. Huh. That's weird.

I bounch off my bed, unzip my overnighter bag and push through clothes, books, chargers and ah hah...there it is, my current diary. It has a sleek black leather cover with a band to keep it closed. Each page is mono chromatically tuned to off white with sterling grey hairlines. I write in it with special, 0.5 tipped, black ink pens that can only be purchased in Japantown. No chintzy ballpoints for this diary.

I flip through it and sure enough...

Infographics everywhere. This infographic illustrates my favorite sleeping positions when someone else is also occupying the bed.

Other infographics include:
1. Things I'll be able to do when I can walk again
2. Reasons to break up with my bf (an outline)
3. Reasons I love Tee.
4. Scenarios during which, I'll need someone to carry me (part two of the knee surgery saga)
5. What I ate and where at the Street Foods festival.


At least I'm consistent.

0 comments:

Post a Comment